Re: sndconfig complains that can't find soundcore

suresh kumar sharma, 2002-Oct-06 16:10 -0700:
> hi
> I have a sony vaio laptop and a debian 2.20 running on
> it.
> I am not able to get sound working on it.
> I tried sndconfig but it sas that it can't find
> soundcore module.this the error message I get.
> #######
> You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular
> sound  enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the
> module search path). To use sndconfig, you must be
> running a kernel with modular sound, such as the
> kernel images shipped with Debian Linux or a  2.2 or
> greater kernel.
> ####
> but I have enabled sound support during kernel compile
> and I can load soundcore module using,
> modprobe soundcore , then why does it say it can't
> find it.
> so please help me
> thanks in advance
> suresh

Hey Suresh,

This means that Sound support is compiled into the kernel and not as a
module.  AFAIK, sndconfig requires that all components be a module.
So each kernel config option has to be "m" and not "y".  If you're not
sure of this, search the /lib/modules/2.2... directory for the running
kernel to see if soundcore.o is there.   However, I believe sndconfig
does just that, and didn't find it in your case.  You probably need to
compile a kernel.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer