Xircom cardbus ethernet II does not work on a 100mbsp switch

Hello

I have a IBM Thinkpad 760el with Debian GNU/Linux ( 3.0, fresh install ).
It is connected to a CNET 10/100 mbps switch that works well with 2
other systems( both 100mbps ). The problem is that the pcmcia card
( Xircom Cardbus Ethernet II 10/100 CBE2-100 ) in the laptop does
not work on that swich. I have used it several times on 10Mbps lans.
The link led on the switch just blinks, the leds on the pcmcia dongle is
not lit. The pcmcia card drivers loads just like normal on the portable(
I have not changed anything since I installed debian from the Internet on a
10Mbps lan ).
I have switched tp-cables/ports on the switch.
I have tried to set the media type with ifconfig.

Anyone have suggestions what to try?

Thanks in advance

Erling