Re: Old batteries - or ... ?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:51:31AM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> On Friday 20 September 2002 03:29 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > [Although laptop-related, it is not debian-specific. But you're a
> > helpful lot, aren't you? :-) ]
> >
> > I'm suspecting that the batteries in my laptop are getting old - or that
> > something is buggy in hardware / bios.
> >
> > Reason: The batteries charge in a odd way: They will charge (eventually)
> > to anything between 35% and 65% (40 in the example below) and then
> > *suddenly* become 100% full !?
> >
> > Discharging is a bit odd too - they will go seemingly linearly from 100%
> > to anything between 80% and 50% (~70% in example below) and then drop
> > quite steeply.
>
> Greetings Jorgensen:

[Uh-oh. People only call me by my surname when I'm in trouble!]

> The batteries could be both getting old, and also needing a complete cycling
> to reset the values.  In my bios, I have a special *mode* that completely
> discharges the batteries, then charges them completely and *learns* the
> cycle, then repeats the procedure.

Unfortunately my bios does not have that option :-(

> Yet as batteries age, they will give less service life.

I expected that. But not being a battery expert, I don't even know
whether the age affects the shape of the charge/discharge curves. There
must be some "foresic expert" somewhere who can date batteries based on
the curves :-)

> A problem that I see is that my unit doesn't leave any cool down time for
> the batteries.  It would be much better if it would let them cool for 1/2
> hour and then charge them up.

Hm. It sounds like a bios update might be in order then - problem is
that Dell isn't too forthcoming wrt "what's changed" - I don't want to
loose apm alltogether (I hear that acpi isn't quite there yet...)

I'll try experimenting with the temperature though - i.e. taking them
out for an hour out, once they're fully charged.

> If you don't have this feature, then perhaps see if there is a local shop
> that has a stand alone smart charger that could do it for you.  I used to
> take my two-way radio batteries in to a place here that I found quite
> helpful.  After they were cycled, they were back to at least 85% of life
> which bought me another year before I had to retire them.

Hm. I'll ask at my local laptop repair shop; but they usually charge a
fortune...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com