Re: Old batteries - or ... ?

At 17:51 2002-09-20, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

On Friday 20 September 2002 03:29 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> [Although laptop-related, it is not debian-specific. But you're a
> helpful lot, aren't you? :-) ]
>
> I'm suspecting that the batteries in my laptop are getting old - or that
> something is buggy in hardware / bios.

Greetings Jorgensen:

The batteries could be both getting old, and also needing a complete cycling
to reset the values.  In my bios, I have a special *mode* that completely
discharges the batteries, then charges them completely and *learns* the
cycle, then repeats the procedure.  Yet as batteries age, they will give less
service life.
[major snip]

Hi all!
Just a bit curious. What happens when Li-ion batteries age? They have no such "memory" as the older NiCad batteries. Perhaps it will work with a recondition procedure, but with Li-ion, I am a bit sceptical. The discharge curve seems ok, since it will drop faster as the battery looses charge, but maybe the time is a bit short. With no (or little) energy saving options, the battery probably will last no more than an hour and a half at anyway. The charge curve is odd I must confess, but some of that behaviour probably originates from the measurment of the battery power. There could rather be a problem there.
How old is the battery? How many recharges has it been through?

//Ivar
-
Ivar Alm          ! Where does Microsoft want to drag you today? !
Umeå, Sweden      ! Do you really want to go there?              !
http://www.acc.umu.se/~octo