Re: Old batteries - or ... ?

In article <[🔎] 20020920102908.GB24322@e-jorgensen.freeserve.co.uk>
karl@jorgensen.com writes:
>I'm suspecting that the batteries in my laptop are getting old - or that
>something is buggy in hardware / bios.
[...]
>So: Is this the signs of an ageing battery? Or buggy BIOS? Flaky
>    charger? My mental state?
>
>System info:    [DH]ell Inspiron 4000, BIOS A16, kernel 2.4.18 with apm,

Since there isn't really a good way to measure how fully charged a
battery is, I suspect measuring error as the primary bogosity.  (Was
is easy: measure how much power you got out) (What is being measured?
How is it calibrated against actual batteries?  against your current
battery?)

If your battery doesn't last as long as it used to with the same load,
under the same conditions, it is showing signs of aging.  When it
should be replaced is up to you.

Better NiCad and NiMh chargers detect full charge by a slight LOWERING
of the battery voltage.  (I don't know about LiOn.)

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html