Re: Toshiba 320CDT

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Joyce, Matthew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Display Issue 1
>
> I cannot seem to find a character VGA mode which used the whole display, I
> have tried 'scan' and tried all the different modes, the best for me is
> 80x25, but it does not use an band at the top and the bottom of the screen.
> It seems odd as the whole display is used in gfx gui modes.

Hi,

if you are using the kernel image 2.2.20-idepci and use vga=791 at
boot-up time or in your lilo.conf you are able to use the frame-buffer
and the vesa-vga graphics console - that means you are able to use the
whole screen.

If you are using like me the kernel 2.2.20 you have to recompile it.
Therefore install the corresponding kernel source, load the
configuration file of your actual kernel you want to use (see
/boot/config-kernel-your-one) and change the entries in console drivers
like this:

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE=m
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX=m
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MILLENIUM=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MYSTIQUE=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MULTIHEAD=y
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_AFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_MAC is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

Recompile the kernel with make-kpkg kernel_image ... to use your pcmcia further on
install the pcmcia source package and recompile it also with make-kpkg
modules-image. The same for your alsa driver.
Change lilo.conf vga=normal to vga=791
This worked for me.

> Display Issue 2
>
> Under X, I cannot get a happt res either, I have entered the specs for the
> screen but other than 640x480 the desktop is bigger then the screen and so
> lots of scrolling is happening.
>
> I would prefer a fixed 600x800 and perhaps switch to a virtual 1024x768 for
> those dialog boxes which are too big tor 800x600.
>
> Below is the backend of the config I am using.

Use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (using debconf) to change your desktop settings.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang-bang fruit