From: ronin2@bellatlantic.net [mailto:ronin2@bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Friday, 13 September 2002 12:11 PM
To: debian-laptop List
Subject: Re: Toshiba 320CDT

You need to compile your kernel with framebuffer and VGA text mode support.

In menuconfig or xconfig under "Console drivers" select "VGA text console"
and "Video mode selection support". In "Frame-buffer support" I chose "VESA
VGA graphics console", "Advanced low level driver options", and "8 bpp
packed pixels support". Everything else I left unselected.

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt and determine the vga mode
you wish to use. You will probably want to use 800x600 at 256 colors, which
is mode 0x303. Pass this to the kernel as a boot argument "vga=0x303"; put
this in either lilo.conf or menu.lst (grub's data file).

I needed to experiment with it for a while; I believe this will get you
close, but your hardware is different from mine and you may need to
experiment a little too.

Good luck!

Kevin