Re: toshutils and fan operation

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:13:38AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I've have toshset and toshutils installed on my 2805-S302.  I have a few
> questions:
> First, a question about the fan.  Does it come on automatically regardless
> of software?  That is, without using toshset or toshutils will it still
> come on?  I believe it does, but I can't really hear the fan without
> placing my ear right next to the back of the laptop (which I don't do very
> often).

On my 490CDT the fan comes on automatically.  Only during heavy runs like
kernel compiles or numerical computations.

> Toshset requires root to run, but I can use the "fan" program to turn on
> or off the fan as non-root.  I'd think if I need root to access the
> hardward with toshset I'd need it with the fan program.

If you write to the toshutils author, Jonathan Buzzard (not the Debian
maintainer, that's me!), I figure he'll be able to give you the proper
explanation for this.  Maybe toshset shouldn't require root after all?

> Running fan with --smart seems odd -- the fan cycles every second or so,
> which doesn't seem good for the fan.  Is that expected?

Well that's what it's supposed to do, by definition, so yes, it's expected.
Whether you want it to do that or not is up to you.  I don't bother with
--smart or --daemon.  --auto is sufficient for me.

> When I run wmtuxtime and click on the wrench to configure I get eight
> windows pop-up that say "ERROR: could not open interface to hardware",
> regardless if I run wmtuxtime as root or not.  What's causing that?
> Again, I do have CONFIG_TOSHIBA set, and I can use toshset on this laptop.

Can you confirm /dev/toshiba exists?  What does "ls -l /dev/toshiba" return?

> What's the best way to run wmtuxtime in .xsession?  I'm running icewm, and
> I'm not running xdm -- I just type startx after logging in.

Just put
     wmtuxtime &
in .xsession, should do the job.

> Is there a docking application that will show the fan status?  Does anyone
> have (links to) a description of (or suggestions for) a nice hardware
> monitor setup?  I'm running icewm.

Not that I know of, sorry.

> BTW -- I see this when running wmtuxtime:
>   Gdk-WARNING **: Creating pixmap from xpm with NULL window and colormap
> what's that about?

What version of toshutils are you using?

PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A