Re: Dell's hibernate partition (was: Debian on a Dell 4150?)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 05:27:41PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> someone in a far galaxy once said:
>
> > 4. Is there anyone out there that has installed Debian on an Inspiron
> > 4150? What did you do about this hibernate partition that I hear
> > people talking about?
>
> while five of the six dell laptops that i support are very happy with
> the so-called suspend-to-disk partition (hibernate partition), the
> sixth is acting up.
>
> it's a latitude C610 which, according to Dell, supports up to 1 Gb of
> RAM. this particular one actually contains 1 Gb of RAM. when i try to
> initialize the s2d partition, dell's very own tool (the latest
> version) complains that it does not support systems with more than 768
> Mb or RAM.
>
> dell's answer: install windoze 2000. i didn't expect the answer to be
> otherwise.
>
> so this is just a warning. even though i am on the side of the happy
> and satisfied dell users, this is ridiculous.
>
> anyone want to help reverse engineer dell's s2d partitions so that we
> can create linux tool that is capable of managing them from within
> linux (i don't see why you couldn't do this on a running system).
>
> btw: for all that don't have suspend-to-disk capabilities, there is
> the swsusp patch[1], although 2.4.10 seems to be the last 2.4.x kernel
> that's included.
>
>   1. http://falcon.sch.bme.hu/~seasons/linux/swsusp.html

I got the patch from the sourceforge page, and compiled it with 2.4.18,
no dice. (to be fair, I don't know for sure that my swap partition is
quite large enough for the whole ram+video+2MB space it calls for) I hit
the sysreq-d and the led's blinked, and nothing else happened. I never
have gotten suspend to work either, It's the only thing I am
disappointed with in this Dell I8100.

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it