On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 23:01, Erich Schubert wrote:
> This mail obviously was meant to go to the mailing list.

> To: Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Dell's hibernate partition (was: Debian on a Dell 4150?)
>
> I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar utility for AMIBIOSes? I've
> got a Packard Bell Easy Note Vx+ with Debian, Win2k and and AMIBIOS.
> During the various re-partitions it's had I've lost the original
> hibernation partition. I don't know if the partition is a standard
> type or proprietry, but lphdisk doesn't work.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?

If you´re using a 2.4.xx kernel have a go at the swsusp patch!! it
usesregular swapspace to hibernate and works perfectly stable on my
system. it is implemented in the development 2.5.xx kernel tree.
it has two known problems: one is pcmcia cards and the other is gpm. and
it can´t be called from within X safely although it doesn´t matter if X
is running as long as its called from the Console (or VT of course).

but all of these issues can be handled by a 10 line shell script doing
chvt 1, gpm stop, pcmcia stop, then calls swsusp and then starts
everything again.

can´t remember the URL but google swsusp should do.

greets Benny