Re: Sony VAIO FX401 versus FX701

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
On Thursday 05 September 2002 04:30 pm, Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:

They can always pull the hard drive to look at it's contents.  Failing
that, there is usually a jumper on the motherboard to reset it to it's
factory defaults, and that would clear the BIOS password.  Sorry to be
the bearer of bad news.

I see, so it no way to protect the data? Unless some encription is used?
Ionel

Bingo. Check out gnupg. I have it running here and it works like a champ. It not only signs my mail, but does a great job of protecting delicate data from the world at large.

gl

Don't forget if the thief has unlimited time with the drive, it is very probable that he would be successful accessing unencrypted data.

Chad