performance with Crusoe

I am running Debian 3.0 with the 2.4.18 kernel on a
Fujitsu P-2040, which has
a Transmeta Crusoe 800MHz processor and 256
MB of ram.  The laptop also
dual boots Windows XP.  I was comparing processing
times
with the two operating systems on the same machine
to run various calculations, random number
generations,
and graphics (using the same statistical program and
version (in R) on both sides.  What I find is, first,
Linux
will handle a much larger problem than XP.  But for
some intermediate sized problems, the total processing
time was about 10 to 20 percent faster with XP.

This is in contrast to what I found with the desktop
I work on, which has a similar setup with Debian 3.0
with the 2.4.18 kernel dual booting with Windows XP.
There, as well as handling
much larger problems, Linux does the processing
consistently 20 to 80 percent faster.  That machine
has a Pentium IV 2.2 MHz processor and 1 GB of rdram.
But in each case the comparison is within machine.

What this makes me wonder is if Linux, or my
particular
configuration, may not be as efficient as it could be
for the Crusoe.  I do have something called "crusoe"
enabled in the kernel configuration.  And I installed
a patch that people use to make DMA work with the
P-2000 series.

Does anyone have any similar experience or advice
regarding a laptop with the Crusoe?

Incidently, I really like that processor for what I
use this laptop for, even though it may not be the
fastest.  What I like, compared to my previous
Pentium-based laptop, is the way it stays so quiet
and cool while I work.  But I am wondering if Linux
might use this processor less efficiently than
possible
or if it is more likely something about my
configuration.

Steve