Re: AlsaOnGateway9550

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 08:58:46AM -0700, ThomasRatliffDDS wrote:

> > On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:14:21AM -0700, ThomasRatliffDDS wrote:
> > > Every time I boot up this machine the volume (and some other parameters)
> > > in aumix or alsamixer is reset to 0.
> > >
> > > My ~/.aumixerc and the system /etc/aumixer have reasonable defaults and
> > > sound works after I reset the volume.
> > >
> > > Where do I go to troubleshoot this?
> >
> > Make sure the file is called ~/.aumixrc (just in case the files are
> > named exactly as in your message).
> >

> Yeah I just forgot the exact file spelling but they are /etc/aumixrc and
> ~/.aumixrc.
>
> As a follow up, I had alsa running on a stock 2.4.18-686 install.  aumix
> settings were appropriately carried over reboots.  I was trying to figure
> the debian way of kernel building and have a second kernel choice that is
> exactly the same as my first kernel 2.4.18=2.4.18-686 (used the .config
> from the first kernel "make-kpkg -config menu -rev Custom.0 kernel-image
> modules").  I'm thinking the lack of maintaining the settings between
> boots came after I built this second same kernel.

Seems a little unlikely, however, if you had alsa working and are now
using OSS (kernel.org 2.4.x kernels don't have alsa) it's possible that
/etc/init.d/aumix is finding the remnants of alsa and refusing to set
the levels because it thinks alsa is doing it.

You might try disabling this behaviour: alter the appropriate line in
/etc/init.d/aumix so it reads:

HANDLEALSA="yes" # do not save and restore if ALSA detected by default

hth
Nyk
--
/__