Re: NTFS fears

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Greetings again list:
>
> I have been reading a lot of info about NFTS used on this laptop by
> Windoz-XP.   The original thought was to simply re-size the HD to make room
> for Linux.  Now, after reading all these warnings, I am wondering if
> re-sizing is even possible or sane?  One user on a local LUG strongly advised
> against attempting to resize the drive.
>
> After reading up on both Gnu/Parted and Randish(sp), I think it isn't the
> best idea to try to resize NTFS.  However, I would like to get any info from
> others who may have actually done this and succeeded.
>
> I did procure a copy of Partition Magic 7.0, which apparently will try to
> resize the NTFS partition.  My reasoning is: worse case, I can always dump an
> old copy of windoz98se and try to locate drivers later.
>
> The reason I wanted to save this installation was to be able to use a generic
> windoz box when testings stuff like browsers, my LAN network settings, etc.
>
> Concensus?  Should I go for it, or foobar the hd/working install and start
> over with win98se and hope drivers exist?

Another option is the Bootit NG program at www.bootitng.com which can
reliably resize NTFS, including the WinXP version of it.

If you make the floppy disk per the instructions, boot from it, and
cancel Setup (to avoid installing the program to the hard drive), it
will take you to it's Maintenance Mode from where you can enter the
Partition Work screen to manipulate partitions. The Resize function is
available there.

Of course, before doing anything like this you want to back up your
important data etc.

Tom