Why cant I get an internet connection

I what can I check to see whether internet connection is
messed up. I am on a laptop using debian 2.2 with woody
packages, connected to a dsl SMC baricade ip sharer,
connected to a dsl speed touch home , everything is ethernet,
using a pcmcia card -ethernet. How can I start dhcp, --is
what I am using and have configured. Everything was working
fine and then all of the sudden I can not get a ping on linux.
Have a windoes machine and it connects but not linux laptop.
Need help. Thanks for the information.

Shaun Bokowski