Re: why use ALSA?

I used to wonder about this too, until I took the plunge and got ALSA working on my laptop, discovering to my suprise that ALSA gave me features of my sound card that I hadn't realized it had before!  Not to mention the fact that the ALSA drivers give you much more fine tuned control over the mixer settings and various other things.  All in all, I find that ALSA is *way* better than OSS/Free.