Re: why use ALSA?

At 11:08 PM 08/16/02 -0400, Scott Barnes wrote:

I used to wonder about this too, until I took the plunge and got ALSA
working on my laptop, discovering to my suprise that ALSA gave me features
of my sound card that I hadn't realized it had before! Not to mention the
fact that the ALSA drivers give you much more fine tuned control over the
mixer settings and various other things. All in all, I find that ALSA is
*way* better than OSS/Free.
<<<<

Ok. Sounds tempting. Is there a way to know what I will gain based on my hardware?

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller]

Sorry to be so clueless, but I was looking at the Debian alsa packages (wondering how to install alsa). I see, for example, alsa-utils which depends on alsa-modules. Here's something else that's not clear to me in with the debian package system: I've built my own kernel:

$ uname -a
Linux laptop 2.4.18-xfs-laptop #1 Wed Aug 7 21:25:18 PDT 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

and thus have modules in /lib/modules/2.4.18-xfs-laptop. So, can I install alsa-modules-* as a package? That is, can the package know where to install the modules? Or in other words, if I install alsa-utils how does it (dpkg) determine were to install modules, and which alsa-modules pacakge to install?

Thanks very much,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org