Installing Debian 3.0 on Compaq Presario 1600 with Argosy EN210

Hi,

I'm having difficulty making Debian detect my pcmcia netdevice properly.
It is an Argosy EN210. According to various stuff google turned up it
should just work with pcnet_cs no strings attached. However, when I
configure the network after having configured PCMCIA, it says the network
has not been activated yet, because it is misconfigured or I'm installing
over an old installation...

Is there anything special to keep in mind? Just following the
"yellow-brick road" hasn't done it for me.

Best regards,

Sphere