Re: Mouse Touchpad...how to configure?

hello jay...

2002-07-30/09h, when Jay wrote:

> I have one of those old Sharp Mebius (Pentium I, I belive).
>
> So I'm installing debian and anXious comes in and asks me about what kind of
> mouse do I have, so I told debian that I have a PS/2, but I don't think it
> worked, I ran startx and all of a sudden the monitor seemed like it "melted"
> somehow, at the end it said "Mouse type not supported". How can I configure
> it? HELP! It's those square things below the keys where you move your finger
> around the surface in order to move the mouse. What kind of mouse is it?

usually a touchpad (seems to be one, following your description) works as a
ps/2-device. i dunno anything about your laptop, though.

you could try to run "/usr/bin/X11/xf86cfg" as root on the command-line.
this starts a graphical tool to configure X and you could play around
with the mouse-settings. normally the mouse is recognized by xf86cfg
automatically. write down your working mouse-settings and quit xf86cfg
without saving.

to be in debian-style you should fire up
"/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" afterwards
and configure and save your new mouse-settings there. if you cannot
configure your mouse as needed, you should tell dpkg-reconfigure not to
take care of the package xserver-xfree86 anymore (it is the first question
you get asked when running the aforementioned command) and configure X by
xf86cfg.

hth,
 myster sen