Re: external mouse

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 05:31:00PM +0200, Andreas Fromm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to connect an external Mouse to my Dell Inspiron 8000,
> either PS/2 or USB ( I have to buy one) Can anybody tell me how to
> configure gpm and X to use the external mouse and the build in touch pad
> and pointer stick. I would also like to be able to unplug the external
> mouse and continue working with the build in devices without having to
> restart anything.

My Dell Latitude has an option in the BIOS to use both internal
touchpad/pointer PS/2 and external PS/2 devices simultaneously. It works
fine.

For USB, check the archives. I believe someone said you needed to force
the drivers to be loaded before X starts even if the mouse isn't plugged
in. Then you can plug/unplug the USB mouse without bothering X. I think
the thread included an XF86Config-4 file.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com
GnuPG D8C3BBD2  CC08 D690 0B70 3C70 351E  EB05 96A3 3789 D8C3 BBD2