Re: Dell Inspirion And The Touchpad

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:02:17AM -0700, Taylor Dondich wrote:
> I just installed woody on a Dell Inspirion 8100 and I've been looking
> on-line for all the information I could find on activating the touchpad.
> All the Inspirion resources say that it responds as a standard PS/2 mouse.
> I believe I compiled the kernel with ps/2 mouse support (MOUSEPS2 or
> something like that in the kernel config file); however, cat /dev/psaux
> shows no device.  The Dell Insiprion's use the ALPS Glidepad/Stickpointer as
> the touchpad of choice.
>
> Does anyone know any troubleshooting steps I should take now?

Umm. None at all? I've got the 8100 too and both stick and touchpad
work out of the box with the default kernel... /dev/psaux and protocol
"PS/2" is completely correct, however I don't know what the "cat
/dev/psaux" is supposed to show besides the raw data stream from the
mouse?! Does the stick work and the touchpad doesn't? Then it seems to
be a hardware problem.

I'm attaching a gzipped version of my kernel-config to be absolutely
sure. The APIC is deactivated in it to stop the i8k from freezing when
inserting or removing the AC-plug ;-)

CU
    Thimo

--
Thimo Neubauer <thimo@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 "woody" is finally released! CD-Images are