Re: IBM ThinkPad A30

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, yefni@eresmas.net wrote:
> I am about to install Woody on a ThinkPad A30. I would appreciate all
> comments from experienced ThinkPad A30 users about problems they may
> have found during installation or any important matters they learnt
> from it.

I have an A31p, not an A30, but the details should be pretty much
identical.

If you only want Linux installed, no dual boot, life is simple. The
hardware should just work fine, and X will be happy with XFree86 4.2
installed.

If you want a dual boot you enter the painful world of the Microsoft
mandated "OS restore CD".

Basically you *don't* get a copy of the OS from IBM, you get a CD that
will reformat and reinstall your hard drive with Windows for you. It's
really noxious.

That said, it's not that hard to make it do the right thing for you. To
get a dual boot system with it, follow the procedure outlined below.

This *isn't* failsafe and, if I misremember how it ran you may end up
with a non-booting machine. So long as you don't delete the recovery
partition you should be OK, though.

Er, do this at your own risk. :)

1) boot linux

2) use fdisk to delete all partitions *except the recovery partition*.
   - The recovery partition is a FAT32 partition at the end of the disk.
     Don't kill that, you want it later.

3) create primary partition 1 as the size you want the Windows partition
   to finally be.

4) create a primary partition that fills the rest of the disk (to the
   start of the recovery partition, basically.)

5) delete the primary partition 1, but not the others

6) run the 'recovery' procedure on the recovery partition or CD
   - This takes forever as it installs Windows, boots to it, installs
     all the IBM software and drivers and, finally, does the last of the
     setup.
   - This needs to reboot a few times. Let it.

7) boot to linux again

8) use fdisk to repartition the remaining space however you want.
   Keep the windows partition and the recover partition as they are.

9) install linux, be happy. :)

> Please, write your suggestions to: <mastecni@us.es>

As an aside, that line is what the 'Reply-to' field in email is for.
Next time, just set it to the address you want responses at.

        Daniel

--
We are all fallen creatures at the DNA level.
        -- Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project