Re: Working and economic wireless solution

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 20:43, Tony Godshall wrote:
> Linux Journal (or was it Linux Magazine?) had a great issue
> devoted to SOHO computing a month or two ago.  It dealt with
> this in some detail.
Linux Journal had it.

> Upshot was: you don't need an access point if you have a
> computer running linux that you can use to make the bridge.
> Two pcmcia 802.11b cards will happily talk to each other
> without an access point, and your stationary linux box can
> be the bridge.  Ssh provides much better security than WEP
> anyhow.
They set it up with VPN if I recall correctly, plus the default
encryption the cards offer. Goal was to prevent your neighbor to log on
to the system. You never need an access point (unless you want that one
to handle your connection) if you don't have too many cards. The cards
can be set up to connect in ad hoc mode: they create their own network
based on who is online.