question about booting from floppy, installing from pcmcia cdrom

i'm trying to install potato on a toshiba portege 7020ct. i'm booting from a floppy, and then want to install from my pcmcia cdrom.

when i try to "configure pcmcia support" i get "pcmcia error: an error encountered while trying to load and configure the pcmcia modules." /var/log/messages says that modules ds, i82365, and pcmcia_core are not loaded, and that the file pcmcia_core.o does not exist.

from what i read, this is what i expected because my understanding is that none of the driver modules are on the rescue or root disks, but i'm confused as to how to load them. my guess is that they're all on the driver-x.bin disks, but when i try to "preload modules from a floppy" with driver-1.bin in the drive, i get "critical error: cannot mount floppy."

what is the correct procedure?

much thanks,
jason