Re: Protege 3110CT NIC not recognized?

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 02:43, Dom Leon wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> Could someone please tell me how to get my NIC
> recognized? I have read a lot of dhcp and ifconfig
> documentation as well as /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> The /etc/network/interfaces file reads:
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> And that's it! From what I have read #ifconfig eth0
> 192.168.2.15 should place and eth0 entry in the
> /etc/network/interfaces entry, but it does not.
> Instead I get:
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
>
> I thought this was what ifconfig was for? Does anyone
> know what Im missing?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Hi Dom,

It sounds like you do not have the correct kernel module (driver in
windows terminology) installed for your network card.

I have the 3440CT which *may* be similar to the 3110CT. Mine has its NIC
on an external port replicator thing. The NIC itself is an intel
ethernet express pro (kernel module eepro.o). To have it recognised at
boot time requires two things:

1) the kernel must be able to access the port replicator and

2) the NIC module has to be compiled into the kernel.

As the port replicator is removable, I compiled the NIC driver as a
module to be loaded by the kernel as needed.

With your port replicator plugged in, and as the root user, type either:
"lspci" or "cat /proc/pci" to see what devices are being reported on
your pci bus. If the 3110 is similar to the 3440 you should see (amongst
others) the pci host bridge at 00:00.0, a toshiba pci bridge (at 00:06.0
or similar - this is for the port replicator) and (probably as the last
device) the ethernet controller (01:04.0 on mine).

If you cannot see your ethernet controller listed in the pci bus, it's
because your kernel is not talking to the toshiba pci bridge correctly
and hence cannot access anything on the port replicator. If this is the
case, check out the pci howto.

Assuming the NIC was listed, all you need to do is ensure you have the
right driver for the network card installed in your kernel. Your
distribution may have already compiled the eepro driver as a module but
for some reason may not be loading it at boot time. To find out, type
"insmod eepro100". That command tries to insert the driver for the intel
ethernet pro NIC into the running kernel.

If that works without errors, you simply need to edit your configuration
to ensure that the NIC driver is loaded at boot time (read the
modules.conf info pages about this). If you get a "no module by that
name" error, it means you do not have the driver compiled and you will
have to recompile the kernel with it enabled (go to kernel.org, download
the latest stable kernel and read all the documentation it comes with).

Once you have taken the necessary steps for your kernel to recognise the
NIC, you should see the following when you type "ifconfig eth0":

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000

Your output may be slightly different, but it should not say:

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

which indicates that the kernel is still not talking to the NIC.

Once you know the kernel is talking to the NIC, you have to edit your
networking config files so that your laptop can join the network. It
sounds like you have already done this.

Please note that I have never used a 3110CT and it may be different from
the 3440CT. However, I think they are quite similar and hope this helps,

Sam.

PS. There are some good installation guides for the 3440CT that may be
of use - check out google.

Sam Williams
Salter Projects Limited
Telephone: (+852) 2987.4742
Facsimile: (+852) 2987.4743

*****************************

transmitted by this email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.

sender immediately. This message contains confidential information and
is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or take any
action in reliance on the contents of this email.