thanks but... using /dev/dsp totally freezes machine!!

thanks to THIMO for the .config, one of the apm settings has enabled me
to avoid freeze on power state changes.

sadly however i now can't play sound [xmms, snd, pd, play] without a
total* freeze of my system, forcing me to power down and hang-out with
fsck for 10 minutes! i've never had this before, sound hasn't been a
problem since 2.4.18 on the maestro3i. when i go back to my old .config
without apm support at all [also no CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC of course] this
problem remains. i haven't done changed anything else [that i can
remember] i am not using ALSA or ACPI btw. i'd love some help soon as i
have music to make..

thanks list,

de|ire