Possible bug when installing Debian on a laptop computer

Hi !

I have installed Debian on three laptop computers. The first
installation was done using a Debian Potato 2.2r5. The two other ones
were done by using the latest mini woody CD. These are the only
differences that I remember.

All three installation were done from the CD for the base
install. PCMCIA support was configured during the install, network
support too. After the install, I updated /etc/apt/apt.conf and issued
an apt-get update then upgrade.

The problem is that on all three laptops, /etc/network/interfaces is
empty (just initial comments) and /etc/hosts is inexistant. This is
particulary disturbing since loopback interface is not configured. I
had to add the correct lines by hand.

I have installed several debian on non-laptop computers and never
encountered this problem.

I would like to issue a bug report about this, but I am not sure
against which package (base, pcmcia-cs or any other ?).
--
printk("HPFS: Grrrr... Kernel memory corrupted ... going on, but
        it'll crash very soon :-(\n");