Re: Tips needed to rescue laptop whose PCMCIA stopped working

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 08:01:28AM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

[...]
> (Since I used /boot/config-2.4.16, and compiled another 2.4.16 kernel,
> I'm quite sure the kernel should still be ok? I compiled and installed
> new kernel, as I don't know if I can build modules otherwise. What is
> always meant by "configured kernel source tree" if you want to compile
> modules? Need I always keep a kernel source tree as it was when I
> compiled a specific kernel when I want to compile modules for it? A
> nuisance as I often compile all my kernels on my fastest machine. Thus I
> need to completely recompile the kernel each time I want to compile new
> modules?)

AFAIK when you build your kernel using make-kpkg, you can also
generate packages with kernel_headers to install later on your slower
machine.

[...]
> Right, so I decided to take out PCMCIA support from the kernel and go
> with pcmcia-modules-3.1.33 instead, as that's what pcmcia-cs I have.
> Since I don't have menuconfig, I just editted the /usr/src/.config file,
> set CONFIG_PCMCIA=n, and left the rest of the PCMCIA options as-is. Is
> this adequate? Compiled new kernel, compiled pcmcia-modules, the install
> works fine, no conflicts.

Mmmh editing .config by hand is quite close to black magic, if I were
you, I'd use make config if you can't use menuconfig or xconfig.

> After a reboot:
>

> Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.33
>   kernel build: 2.4.16 unknown
> Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
> PCI: Enabling device 00:0a.0 (0000 -> 0002)
>
>   Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting
>   no bridges found.
> /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> ds: no socket drivers loaded!
> /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>  cardmgr.

Could you try using the yenta module instead of the i82365 (as defined
in /etc/default/pcmcia IIRC) ? For me it did the trick.

HTH

Fred