Tips needed to rescue laptop whose PCMCIA stopped working

The machine worked fine, until I recently did an upgrade from an *old*
woody package to one that's now probably 3 weeks old (what I had on
oldish beta CD images), this is possibly the newest. Not sure. After the
upgrade was aborted (for unrelated reason), the pcmcia didn't work. I
continued the upgrade with dpkg --configure -a, or apt-get -f install,
not 100% sure. Then pcmcia worked right again.

Then a reboot, and it no longer works. So I reckon it is kernel module
related.

It didn't have ncurses-dev, so I couldn't do my usual make menuconfig
route, I copied /boot/config-2.4.16 to /usr/src/linux/.config, then used
make-kpkg to build new kernel_image, and pcmcia-modules as well,
3.1.33-6 ... this is also the version of pcmcia-cs that I have. However,
on installing this I found that a file conflicts between my kernel and
the pcmcia-modules (/lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o). Thus I
guess (I cannot remember exactly) I went with kernel pcmcia modules in
the past. So I removed pcmcia-modules-2.4.16 again.

(Since I used /boot/config-2.4.16, and compiled another 2.4.16 kernel,
I'm quite sure the kernel should still be ok? I compiled and installed
new kernel, as I don't know if I can build modules otherwise. What is
always meant by "configured kernel source tree" if you want to compile
modules? Need I always keep a kernel source tree as it was when I
compiled a specific kernel when I want to compile modules for it? A
nuisance as I often compile all my kernels on my fastest machine. Thus I
need to completely recompile the kernel each time I want to compile new
modules?)

The output I got when I do "rmmod pcmcia_core ; /etc/init.d/pcmcia
restart" was:

Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
<SNIP>

Right, so I decided to take out PCMCIA support from the kernel and go
with pcmcia-modules-3.1.33 instead, as that's what pcmcia-cs I have.
Since I don't have menuconfig, I just editted the /usr/src/.config file,
set CONFIG_PCMCIA=n, and left the rest of the PCMCIA options as-is. Is
this adequate? Compiled new kernel, compiled pcmcia-modules, the install
works fine, no conflicts.

After a reboot:

Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.33
  kernel build: 2.4.16 unknown
Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
PCI: Enabling device 00:0a.0 (0000 -> 0002)

  Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting
  no bridges found.
/lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
 cardmgr.

Any ideas? I've not had much problems with PCMCIA before, so I suspect
it could be simple. (E.g. recompile kernel with *proper* disabling of
PCMCIA?)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe