Re: Performance with Orinoco

Hi Brendan!

On Wed, 03 Jul 2002, Brendan J Simon wrote:

|> Try the debian-powerpc lists.  They might be able to help you too since
|> an Apple Airport is in use.  I've used a PowerBook with debian and had

Since in both devices (my i8k and the airport) orinoco cards are used, I
thought, I'm on the right place. ;)

|> link speeds of 1 and 2 Mbps with Airport & Airport BaseStation (at least
|> thats what iwconfig showed).

iwconfig shows me the rates from 1MB up to 11MBs. Depending on the
distance to the airport. - This seems to work correctly.
Anyway, that is brutto, netto it should be about 1MB/s when I'm near to
the router.
(Right now, I am in basement with five walls between me and the router;
and this is the output of iwconfig:
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452GHz  Access Point:
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:3/3
          Link Quality:13/92  Signal level:-83 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm

on the ground-floor - three walls between:
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452GHz  Access Point:
          Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:3/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:2347 B
          Link Quality:17/92  Signal level:-79 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm

As you can see, the Bit Rate works correctly.
Even when I'm close to the router, the Link Quality is never better
then 50/92.)

Yesterday I tried to compile the new pcmcia-cs from sourceforge.
Unfortunately the new package isn't working. It compiles without errors,
but when I stick the card into the dell, I get errors and the module
orinoco_cs won't load.
(card services don't match).
I also upgraded the nessesary debian-packages. - Without any change in
behavior.

|> > Have you seen the new D-Link 22Mb/s router/cards?  The operate at 22Mb/s
|> > using
|> >802.11b(2.4Ghz).

No. Do you have a link for me?

--