mkboot does not work on swappable ide-floppy

I'm having problems to make a boot-floppy:

My floppy drive is a LS120 drive that also reads normal floppies. It's
plugged  into the VersaBay, the swappable device of my NEC SX laptop.

That drive gets recognised as /dev/hda3

mkboot assumes the floppy being in /dev/fd0

Changing /dev/hda3 in place of /dev/fd0 in the mkboot script  or linking
/dev/fd0 to /dev/hda3 does not fix the problem: at boot time BIOS would not
find a valid MBR on the floppy.

How do I have to handle this /dev/hda3 floppy? (ide-floppy?)

Thanks so much,
alberto.