Ethernet via PCMCIA
I just bought a (16bit) PCMCIA EthernetCard (Netgear FA411)
and want to connect to the company`s (Win2k)-network.
But installing PCMCIA is not easy (tried it the first time) -
here is what I did:
* Compiled a new kernel (2.0.38 with at least modules enabled).
I have to do all this stuff on a bigger Debian-box (2.2.19pre) as
resources on my laptop (486) are scarce.
* downloaded the package pcmcia-cs-3_1_20_tar.tar (the readme
says that this pcmcia-modules will work for 2.0-kernels).
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be precompiled
Debian-module-packages for 2.0.38
* untared this package in /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.20
* made 'make config' (as I did it for another machine I had to use
the Linux source directory /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.38
* tried 'make all' - like the PCMCIA-Howto tolds and got the
- make: *** [cs.o] Error 1
- make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.20/modules
- make: *** [all] Error 2
* What went wrong?
* If 'make all' and 'make install' works - where are the modules (*.o)
and how do I transfer them to the laptop?
* Which modules do I need for my card?
* What do I have to configure?
* How do I go on efficiently?
- With Cardmgr & Co?
- Installing the Ethernet Connection (PPP or TCP/IP)
The Ethernet-Howto doesn't seem to fit to my situation
(or my low knowledge-level).
- Configure (IP-Adresses, DHCP, ...) and test the Ethernet?
TIA for any advice/help/hint/source
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to email@example.com
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org