Re: IRDA on Dell Inspiron 8000 Woody 2.4.18

Hello, Werner.

First, thank you for putting together the Infrared HOWTO.

I read it over the weekend, and tried everything in it. (I wasn't kidding.) I tried both FIR and SIR. Sometimes (but not always) I could see irdadump output, but never did the packets pass through the infrared port.

My attempt to install another Linux OS on some free space was an unmitigated disaster. Mandrake's partition program munged the partition table. I thought I might be able to save something, but I spent the second half of the night and most of the day today rebuilding my Debian system.

Sometime during the night it occurred to me to check Dell's web site for BIOS updates. There have been several since I bought the laptop, so I flashed the latest BIOS before I began installing Woody. When debconf asked me about irda, I sat up straight and put my Palm near the IR port. The Palm saw the light, bright and strong! (This with kernel 2.2.19.)

Unfortunately when I got a 2.4 kernel up I was again unable to make IR work.

So now I'm way back before square one. :)

--
Kevin McKinley