IRDA on Dell Inspiron 8000 Woody 2.4.18

Hello,

I've been trying for four days now to get IRDA working on my Inspiron 8000, using either my own kernel 2.4.18, or the Debian kernel 2.4.18-686. I'd like to sync with my Palm Vx.

I've read every Inspiron 8000 or 8100 page on linux-laptops. I've searched archives of this list for the last ten months, and tried *every* suggestion. I've searched the archives at linux-dell-laptops (a Yahoo mail list group), and tried all the tips I found there.

I have so far been able [sometimes] to see packets in irdadump (but usually not). I have a Palm Vx with IrMonitor, and it sees nothing from the infrared port even when irdadump is showing packets. (It sees my TV remote, so I know it receives IR.) In addition, I'm sure the Inspiron's IR port is functional, because it works under "another operating system". I can sync using the serial port (when it's enabled).

My Inspiron's hardware is as follows:
	NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go 32 Mb
	Fixed CD-RW/DVD combo
	SelectBay Zip drive
	ActionTec PCI Network/modem combo
	ESS Maestro3 sound

I'm running Debian Woody, dist-upgraded today, with Debian's 2.4.18-686 kernel as well as one I compiled to remove APIC support, enable framebuffer console, and avoid a lot of modules I don't need/use. I have reviewed my kernel config numerous times, and I can't see anything I've left out.

I understand there's a possiblility of conflict between IRDA and either PCMCIA cards or the Maestro3 sound, so I've gone as far as not loading any of those modules. No luck. I even tried disabling the ActionTec combo. I've also tried running from a text console, with or without framebuffer support, in case there's some nasty NVIDIA-IR thing happening. Still nothing.

In the BIOS I tried disabling the serial port and configuring the IR port as either fast or slow on  COM1, COM2, COM3, or COM4. I tried enabling the serial port as COM1 or COM2, and the IR port as any of the others, fast or slow.

In /etc/irda.conf I've tried /dev/ircomm0, /dev/ircomm1, /dev/ttyS0-4, and irda0 as the IR device.

I've tried using the scripts in /etc/init.d and I've tried doing "irattach..." after modprobe-ing the modules.

Modules-wise, I've tried using smc-ircc and noted that it fails the first time it's insmoded, but succeeds the second time. I've tried ensuring smc-ircc is not loaded, and using various combinations of irtty, irport, and ircomm with ircomm-tty.

The only thing I haven't yet tried is another Linux distro, and that's scheduled for this afternoon.

I know that several people on the list have succeeded with this. I've tried everything they've posted, whether they had Inspiron notebooks or some other kind. I suspect there's something about their configurations different than mine, but I can't think of what it could be. I'm fast losing what's left of my hair and my sanity -- if someone can offer some new suggestions I would very much appreciate it.

--
Kevin McKinley