Re: Xircom CardBus and Kernel 2.4

Marc.Duerner@student.shu.ac.uk writes:
 > On Sunday 12 May 2002 02:33, you wrote:
 > > I'm a Debian newbie who just installed Potato on my laptop, a Dell
 > > Inspiron 7500.  I have a Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 PCI
 > > card.  This card worked fine when I was using Red Hat 7.1 (kernel
 > > 2.4.x) and also worked OK with the default 2.2 kernel that comes with
 > > Potato.  I upgraded the distribution, then, finally upgraded to kernel
 > > 2.4.18.  Now I can't get the card to work.
 > >
 > > Judging from the messages during boot, I'd say the new kernel isn't
 > > recognizing my i82365 controller.  modconf confrims that this module
 > > is not loaded and when I attempt to insert it, the installation fails.
 >
 > This is a well known problem. I also have a i82365 controller, but the i82365
 > kernel module doesn't work. The solution is to use the undocumented
 > yenta_socket. Goto your /etc/default/pcmcia and set:
 >
 > PCIC=yenta_socket
 >
 > leave the rest as it is. Now restart your card services with
 >
 > /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
 >
 > and tell us what happens.

Well, its partly fixed.  The yenta socket module loads and the card is
recognized as a Xircom card.  Unfortunately, the card doesn't work,
now.  That is, the ethernet connection is never established and I
can't ping any other machines.  I actually tried rebooting just to
make sure I'm reinitializing everything but got the same result.

I noticed during the boot that there's an error when the xircom_cb
module loads now.  I can't seem to find the error message in any of
the log files or I'd post it.  I notcied that the xircom module tries
to load before the yenta module and thought this might be the problem
but modconf shows the module as being loaded and reloading it and
trying /etc/pcmcia/network stop/start doesn't help.

Tom S.

--
Quote of the Day for May 11, 2002
What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis