Re: Xircom CardBus and Kernel 2.4

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:03:26PM +0100, Boris Duerner wrote:
> On Sunday 12 May 2002 02:33, you wrote:
> > I'm a Debian newbie who just installed Potato on my laptop, a Dell
> > Inspiron 7500.  I have a Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 PCI
> > card.  This card worked fine when I was using Red Hat 7.1 (kernel
> > 2.4.x) and also worked OK with the default 2.2 kernel that comes with
> > Potato.  I upgraded the distribution, then, finally upgraded to kernel
> > 2.4.18.  Now I can't get the card to work.
> >
> > Judging from the messages during boot, I'd say the new kernel isn't
> > recognizing my i82365 controller.  modconf confrims that this module
> > is not loaded and when I attempt to insert it, the installation fails.
>
> This is a well known problem. I also have a i82365 controller, but the i82365
> kernel module doesn't work. The solution is to use the undocumented
> yenta_socket. Goto your /etc/default/pcmcia and set:

It's *not* undocumented, it's just that it's in Linus' code tree, not in
David Hinds'.

For documentation, build your kernel using 'make menuconfig' and actually
read pcmcia related help panels, or look at the files in /usr/src/wherever-
you-unpack-your-kernel-to/Documentation.  Configure.help is the notes for
the help options, there are however a great many other useful files in there.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...