Re: Radeon Mobility LY supported by Debian?

> Hello,
>
> We just installed Debian woody on a Dell Inspiron 4100.  The lspci
> command shows it has a Radeon Mobility LY.  So I checked the X
> documentation, which says that I should use the ati driver, which will > detect the Radeon card and load the proper driver.  I selected this in
> the xserver-xfree86 debconf system.
>
> When I type "startx", it lists a set of R128 and Radeon cards
> supported, but Radeon Mobility LY is not listed.  Is this card
> unsupported?  Do I need to wait for the 4.2.0 packages?
>
> Please CC me in replies, because I am not subscribed to this list.
>
> Thank you,

(Maybe a little bit late, but I found this thread when looking for unofficial xfree4.2 packages for debian ; btw, does anyone know where to find that ?)

I succeeded in having woody's xfree 4.1 work on my Sony Vaio GR7F which has the same Radeon Mobility chip. All you have to do is to tell the radeon driver to believe it is a Radeon VE chip with a ChipId 0x5159 in your Device section...

Maybe you will also need something like
Mode "1400x1050"
    DotClock 108.004
    HTimings 1400 1440 1552 1688
    VTimings 1050 1050 1053 1063
    Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode
in your Monitor section (without that, display was undulating)

In addition, I didn't succeed in making hardware acceleration work nor dual-head work with this driver... I didn't check XFree 4.2 ChangeLogs but I think these are 4.1 missing functionnalities in radeon driver...

Mike Hommey