PCMCIA miseries on HP Pavilion zt1180

I've been fighting with this for several days and am about to scream.
The deal is that sometimes my Proxim Symphony wireless card works and
sometimes it doesn't.  When I restart pcmcia, I usually find this in
/var/log/messages:

Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq11

When that happens, card services hands irq 11 to the Symphony and the
driver, rlmod.o (which is not available in Debian, but I have used it
for a long time with my old laptop) reports "Error registering the irq
with the kernel - is it taken?"

However, once in a while, for no particular reason, after a pcmcia
restart I get:

Yenta IRQ list 0020, pci irq11

After this, when I insert the Symphony cardservices gives it irq 5 and
everything works.  I have "exclude irq 11" in my pcmcia config.opts, but
cardservices seems to silently ignore it.  I have tried to force the
interupt assignment using /etc/default/pcmcia, but as best I can tell
yenta_socket takes no options.  At least it refuses to run if I try
PCIC_OPTS "irq=5" or "pci_irq=5" or any of several other variants.

I'm using the kernel pcmcia stuff, compiled as modules because I
couldn't get the pcmcia_cs source modules to work at all.

Anybody have any suggestions?

--
Michael Epting (epting@ix.netcom.com)