Re: acpi package

Hi again folks.
I've received this message twice, is there a transmission problem?

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Do you mean the package 'acpi'?

That's right.

> > Is it related to the sourceforge.net acpi project?
>
> Yes.
>

> > I've used the patch acpi from sourceforge.net for my kernel 2.4.17,
> > and, although limited, it recognizes battery, AC power, buttons and
> > stuff. THe thing I'm missing is an applet to monitor battery charge
> > and the battery lasts just about one and half hour with the ACPI I've
> > got. Does anyone know if this acpi package would help me anyhow?
>
> It would let you query the ACPI information on the command line, just
> like the apm command does. Not much more than that, though.

Hmmm. I don't know much about APM and I don't know much about ACPI
either. I've discovered aftere I bought my Compaq Presario 700 that it's
ACPI and that the ACPI developement is a bit behind. On the other hand it
works fine, apart from the battery life. Ok then, I don't really
understand what this package does. I've got acpi in /proc and all the
direvotories related to the different acpi devices (battery and what
else), but the event file is empty. SO...does anyone know how does one use
the acpi (or the acpid) package? Or do you know where I can read about
them before I install them?

> You are probably better off with APM if your system supports it.

I've compile APM support as modules, so I guess I can load, but my
computer is ACPI, so I don't know how that works...hmmmm I'm a bit
confused
Cheers everyone