Re: acpi package

From: "Alessandro Speranza" <speranza@mth.kcl.ac.uk>

> Yesterday I was hanging around the debian web site and I saw there's a new
> package on called acpi-something and I was wondering if anyone knows what
> it is about. Is it related to the sourceforge.net acpi project? I've used
> the patch acpi from sourceforge.net for my kernel 2.4.17, and, although
> limited, it recognizes battery, AC power, buttons and stuff. THe thing I'm
> missing is an applet to monitor battery charge and the battery lasts just
> about one and half hour with the ACPI I've got. Does anyone know if this
> acpi package would help me anyhow?

It would help if you knew exactly what it was called.  All I see on woody
are acpid (yes, you should have this), powermgmt-base (you need this, too),
wmacpi and akpi (both essentially battery monitors). I haven't used wmacpi,
but I've used akpi which has a nice little browser that makes debugging your
ACPI problems a bit easier - and I know Thomas is interested in keeping it
up with acpi developments.

acpid allows you to create scripts that can react to buttons and other ACPI
events. powermgmt-base doesn't do much, but it provides utilities that can
tell you whether you have acpi or apm available and whether you're on AC
power.
--
derek