Re: Boot Loader

From: "Vivek" <vivek@etla.org>

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > > knows how to cheat and reinitialise itself from a special swsupend
file:
> > > but I don't think those are technically hibernation.
> >
> > Technically?  Technically, what I described is what Windows does.  Which
is
> > what the original poster was asking about.  It's also, afaik, what
swsusp
> > does.  I haven't ever had a computer, laptop or desktop, that had a
> > suspend-to-disk that didn't take the computer to full power-off.
>
> I have. It's a Thinkpad A20p, and it _doesn't_ go through the bootloader
> when it wakes from hibernation ( which it would do, if I used swsusp ).
> I don't know about the full power off issue - that isn't the important
> distinction I was trying to make. The important bit is:
>
> Quick-boot-recovery -> via bootloader
> hibernate-wake-up   -> via bios voodoo

I got the distinction, just that I've never seen a computer do that.  Now
somebody else posted a description of their Windows system that's different
from mine, which suggests configurations are different.  Given that mine is
an ACPI machine, and ACPI says that if suspend-to-disk isn't handled in
hardware it must be handled in software, AND my machine (Dell inspiron 2500)
obviously doesn't handle it in hardware, I _think_ the behaviour you
describe is probably correct in some machines that do s2d in hardware, quite
possibly not all, but isn't correct in machines that do it in software under
Windows or Linux.
--
derek