Re: pcmcia taints kernel

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:44, Boris Duerner wrote:
> I have a problem with my pcmcia drivers on Woody/kernel 2.4.17-686. I
> installed the pcmcia-cs package, but not the pcmcia modules, since they
> were already included in the kernel. I know I have an i82365 chip, at least
> that always used to work before on various installations.
> With the old 2.2.20 kernel pcmcia works fine, but when I switch to 2.4.17,
> the module i82365 cant be installed/no such device. (tcic doesnt work
> either).
> The solution I found so far is to load the module yenta_socket on startup
> (/etc/modules) and in /etc/default/pcmcia I have pcic=i82092. Now the
> drivers for my pcmcia networking card and pcmcia scsi card are loaded on
> startup and everything runs fine lateron, but on bootup I get the error
> message:
>
> lib/modules/2.4.17-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/i82092.o will taint the
> kernel: no license

This will still work.  It's just that people like Alan Cox will refuse to
look at kernel Oops reports if the kernel is tainted.

First thing to do is clarify the license conditions, and then put it in the
source code to te module.

Here's the relevant part of /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:

/*
 * The following license idents are currently accepted as indicating free
 * software modules
 *
 *      "GPL"                           [GNU Public License v2 or later]
 *      "GPL and additional rights"     [GNU Public License v2 rights and
more]
 *      "Dual BSD/GPL"                  [GNU Public License v2 or BSD license
choice]
 *      "Dual MPL/GPL"                  [GNU Public License v2 or Mozilla
license choice]
 *
 * The following other idents are available
 *
 *      "Proprietary"                   [Non free products]
 *
 * There are dual licensed components, but when running with Linux it is the
 * GPL that is relevant so this is a non issue. Similarly LGPL linked with GPL
 * is a GPL combined work.
 *
 * This exists for several reasons
 * 1.   So modinfo can show license info for users wanting to vet their setup
 *      is free
 * 2.   So the community can ignore bug reports including proprietary modules
 * 3.   So vendors can do likewise based on their own policies
 */

#define MODULE_LICENSE(license)         \
static const char __module_license[] __attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
\
"license=" license

/* Define the module variable, and usage macros.  */
extern struct module __this_module;

#define THIS_MODULE             (&__this_module)
#define MOD_INC_USE_COUNT       __MOD_INC_USE_COUNT(THIS_MODULE)
#define MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT       __MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT(THIS_MODULE)
#define MOD_IN_USE              __MOD_IN_USE(THIS_MODULE)

#include <linux/version.h>
static const char __module_kernel_version[]
__attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
"kernel_version=" UTS_RELEASE;
#ifdef MODVERSIONS
static const char __module_using_checksums[]
__attribute__((section(".modinfo"))) =
"using_checksums=1";
#endif

#else /* MODULE */