Re: about upgrading the kernal

    "Olaf" == Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> writes:

    Olaf> "Robert Hood, Ph.D." <rhood@mtsu.edu> writes:
    >> Hi, this list has been really helpful so far.
    >>
    >> just a newbie question: I've read that the short answer to when
    >> to upgrade my kernal is *never* -- but my gateway 2500 needs
    >> some usb support not in the current kernal (2.2).  Is there
    >> something like "apt-get" for a new kernal that will hold my
    >> hand through the process?

    Olaf> host:~# /usr/bin/apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18

    Olaf> should be a decent starting point.  The postinst script does
    Olaf> a pretty good job of making sure you will be able to
    Olaf> (re)boot with your brand new kernel as the default.  Eh,
    Olaf> assuming you have not messed with the lilo setup too much.

This works and is a great suggestion.

Just FYI, it will give you a warning about initrd during the install
that might scare you, but is self explanatory. Don't worry about it.
Go to a different console, load /etc/lilo.conf into an editor, and add
a line like 'initrd=/initrd.img' like the message from the installer
says. Save the file, continue with the installation. As long as you
have the /vmlinux.old image in lilo.conf that was put in by the
original install there is very little chance that you will end up with
a non bootbale system.

Cheers!
Shyamal