Re: about upgrading the kernal

From: "Jeff" <jcoppock1@attbi.com>
> Robert Hood, Ph.D., 2002-Apr-18 17:25 -0500:
> > Hi, this list has been really helpful so far.
> >
> > just a newbie question: I've read that the short answer to when to
upgrade
> > my kernal is *never* -- but my gateway 2500 needs some usb support not
in
> > the current kernal (2.2).  Is there something like "apt-get" for a new
> > kernal that will hold my hand through the process?
>
> The only reason I ever upgrade to a new kernel is if I'm
> experiencing instability due to kernel issues or if I need to
> add hardware support that isn't in the current kernel.

Obviously that's the case...

> You can use the appropriate kernel-image package or compile your
> own.

Which is a bit short of hand-holding.

Robert.  apt-get install kernel-image-x.x.x
will pretty much do EVERYTHING you want.  First you should try to set up
lilo (if that's what you're using) with a second boot option for the current
kernel.  That way it will still be there when the new kernel get's put in
the default "Linux" option.

If you need to compile your own, apt-get install kernel-package
That installs 'make-kpkg'.  It's still rather convoluted, but the
documentation in make-kpkg is pretty thorough.
--
derek