Re: about upgrading the kernal

"Robert Hood, Ph.D." <rhood@mtsu.edu> writes:

> Hi, this list has been really helpful so far.
>
> just a newbie question: I've read that the short answer to when to
> upgrade my kernal is *never* -- but my gateway 2500 needs some usb
> support not in the current kernal (2.2).  Is there something like
> "apt-get" for a new kernal that will hold my hand through the
> process?

host:~# /usr/bin/apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18

should be a decent starting point.  The postinst script does a pretty
good job of making sure you will be able to (re)boot with your brand
new kernel as the default.  Eh, assuming you have not messed with the
lilo setup too much.

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH