Re:

- wrote:

OK - Ive been struggling wiht gettin X to work on my new Dell Inspiron
4100 since January. It has the infamous ATI Radeon card.

I read through linux on laptops, copied over different xconfig files
and still nothing.
Upgraded kernels, X, whatever it took or thought to try.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure if I've already replyed, however:
- I have an Asus L8470K, with -- imagine :) -- an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY, and I'm running my X server for at least 8 hours a day. So it works. It doesn't work (for me) agp && accel support.

Now, this is what I know I/you need to let X work :
- I previously installed (december '01) XFree 4.1.99 from cvs; this was the first (or the very first) release to fully support this card. Now you can dwnl binary .tar.gz directly from XFree.org to get X4.2; install them -- with an easy script provided by XFree -- and try xf86cfg or xf86config or hit XFree86 -configure.

Notes:
- you need XFree 4.1.9x + for your graphic card
- maybe you have to manually tuning the config file XF86Config-4 you obtain with one of the above commands - xf86cfg is specifically designed for XF4, but it's not perfect (hey, it's only stupid software, isn't it? :))
- XF4.2 deb pkg are not -- as far as I know -- available

To see if your X4 set up is able to manage your graphic card, use the following (as a rule of thumb) : - as root run 'scanpci' and look for any entry about ATI device. If it's reported exactly the string you are expecting (in my case: "ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY") then your X server should run fine: just add the Driver "ati" and the videoram lines. If anything with "unknown" or different from the above expected appear, you need to upgrade the X pkgs. (Scanpci is a binary of X; lspci is part of the kernel and doesn't know all about graphic cards.)

Hope this help.
Bye,

Marco Mililotti                  | Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only
mililmar at lucy.dii.unisi.it    | be achieved by understanding.
web: http://www.yawbs.org/       |                   -- Albert Einstein