Re: Radeon Mobility LY supported by Debian?

OK - Ive been struggling wiht gettin X to work on my new Dell Inspiron
4100 since January. It has the infamous ATI Radeon card.

I read through linux on laptops, copied over different xconfig files
and still nothing.

Upgraded kernels, X, whatever it took or thought to try.

Any ideas?

Another question whihc has COMPLETELY eluded every linux user/expert
Ive asked: Where does the database/list of video cards that are
availibe live - you know, when you run xf86config, eventually it asks
if you would like to see a list of video cards?

I have gone to xfree86.org and installed the latest and Radeon still
does NOT appear in that list.  then I thought it was the kernel
(Radeon does appear there cureing make menuconfig) but has no effect
onthe xf86config - and I was told that was onky for 3D support by the
kernel.

I dont care about 3D or anything fancy. I just want to run windowmaker
and use the bloody thing!

I really do like debian but this is REALLY beginning to piss me off,
not being able to get X to work at all.

help!
TIA.

-dutch