Re: debian for a train hopper

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:15:30PM -0700, wandering jason wrote:
> thank you everyone for the advice.  i'll have to do
> more research into the various models mentioned.
> sounds like if i'm buying a used system, a thinkpad
> may be the way to go.
>
> as far as new stuff, what do people think about the
> crusoe based systems? very low power consumption is
> something pretty important to me--say if i were living
> in a squat with no electricity, running the laptop via
> solar or human power (yes, i've all sorts of strange
> plans for this laptop).
>
> also, what do people think about some of the palmtops?
> stuff like the compaq ipaq? i've heard that people
> have run debian okay on an ipaq with a microdrive.  do
> you think these systems are suitable for serious
> programming and writing?
>
> much thanks,
> jason

My friend 'dillo does programming on his PDAs but, he does
programming *for* PDAs so that kinda makes sense.

The Zaurus has a keyboard, even if it's kinda tiny.

Several models have foldaway keyboards available;  my husband
has a Targus Stowaway keyboard for his Visor and that helps
-a lot-.

iPaq of course have exccellent color and that might help you
keep your vision several years longer...  Anyways the link
you're looking for is handhelds.org.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...