Re: remote printing

Tom Allison wrote:
I'm having a little trouble with my lpr and remote printing.
I got kind of disgusted and am willing to consider CUPS instead.

All I'm trying to do is to get remote printing to work.

Two questions:

ONE:
under lpr I kept running into a problem where the 'lpc {remote IP} status' listed printer status as 'waiting for ... on {remote IP}'. IIRC it was the printer queue. Now, I was able to get the {remote IP} to do everything as a local device. Including print postscript files. My question is -- what does this mean or what should I check for?

Is the remote machine configured to accept for jobs from other machines.
I use lprng and IIRC it only accepts jobs from localhost unless the config file (lprng.perms) is changed. Not sure which package you are using but maybe it has a similar default.

Are there no error message in the log files (lprng creates logs in the spool directory for each printer and these give much more info than lpc)?

TWO:
Postscript files. I do not have a Postscript compatable printer. I also attempted to purchase a print-server appliance (Netgear ME110) to work as a print server. The problem I had with that device is that if I send a file to a printer type 'raw' the postscript is munged. My question is this: When sending postscript in 'raw' form, does the client or the server do the converstion between the ps format to whatever the printer understands? Is it possible that I had the client misconfigured in this set-up?

Assuming the Netgear ME1110 is a similar job to a HP Jet Direct box then it won't convert the postscript files - it simply enables the printer to be plugged into the network. You will need to run something on the PC to convert it - I use ghostscript as a filter for similar tasks.

The remote pc manages to print postscript files, so is it not using something similar to convert the files or are we talking about different printers here ;-)

If it is the same printer, and you can get remote printing to work :-), then the remote pc will convert the files so you can just send postscript files to the remote queue.
HTH

--

Jason Chambers (jason.chambers@ntlworld.com)
Leicester, England