dselect: the access method area is already locked

I attempted to upgrade to Woody 3.0 but I still need to update the kernel.
After upgrading it disabled my cd rom or PCMCIA port. My cdrom is not
getting any power to it and in dselect it says the access method area is
already locked? How can I reactivate my cd rom? I presume it has just
stopped the PCMCIA slot from working because during the upgrade it does say
it will disable the PCMCIA port while it upgrades PCMCIA modules.
The cd rom does work fine I have no doubt of that and pcmcia-cs is
installed.
I would be grateful for any instructions how to resolve this issue so I can
get the new kernel installed.

Nick